Sunday, March 20, 2016

IBERIAN PENINSULA: SPAIN AND PORTUGAL

The Iberian Peninsula is divided, not in the equal shares though, between three countries: Spain, Portugal and Andorra-state that is hardly visible on the World Map. Spain and Portugal, back at the time, were big colonial armies settling the whole continent of South America. These countries, all along with some countries of North Africa and Middle East are also a part of Mediterran. Because of its geographic position, Iberian Peninsula had been influenced trough conquests and trades by many cultures since the ancient period (Greeks and Romans) through the middle age ( Muslims) until today as a part of a global European system.  
After I crossed Gibraltar, I found myself in Tarifa, Malaga, Granada and Sevilla. 
As I stepped into the territory of The European Union, which is supposed to be very well regulated system, I saw some things that made me think I was still in some third world country. It seems that immigration officers don't know whether visa is required for Serbian and Croatian passports. They started consulting each other and the computer system as well. Luckily, the system has been updated. In Tarifa, is really hard to find an exchange office and only a few banks change foreign valutas only for their clients. I managed to find only one with a very low rate. If there are more, there's no sign. The first thing I ran into cute little city of Malaga was a pile of garbage. Maybe, sanitary workers are on collective vacation or strike because the garbage is all around.

Malaga




Granada




Beside these small imperfections, the cities of Andalusia are a fusion of medieval Christian and Muslim architecture. Sevilla was the most interesting to me. With all the ornamented and colorful details exterior it looks really impressive, especially at night with all the lights falling on the city. These lights and the medieval edifices are the charm of Europe. 

Sevilla




If you are longing for some more charm and romance, don't forget to visit the other half of Iberian Peninsula, Portugal and its capital, Lisbon and the streets of cobblestone. 





This is not the first time I visit Lisbon and part of town where I always like to come back to suburb of Lisbon, Sintra. It is famous for big number of castles. Some of them are located in the historic centre and some are high on the hills. The hike trail that leeds to the castles gives a panoramic view of the city. All the trees and stones are covered with moss what this place makes so special and romantic. There was no other people around and I felt like it was my own property with one of the castles. I always take a walk up and on the way down even if there are some means of transportation. To gain the lost energy from walking, I treated myself with a cheese and meat platter and a glass of famous Port wine. 







Some things haven't changed a lot from the first time I visited Lisbon: street merchant still offer hasheesh in public like it's some street candy. There are more street performers than before in very creative costumes. 


I still remember my New Year's eve in Lisbon, 12 years ago at the main square with my best friends, beautiful firework, bottle of sangria and some chips. 


Throug the narrow steap streets, you'll hear fado, an authentic Portuguese music from the first half of 19th century and UNESCO World Heritage. It usually expresses strong feelings such as melancholia, loss or suffering. This music genre is typical for poor instrumental company and the strong vocal qualities of a performer. When I heard fado alive for the first time in my life I had a feeling the power of the singer's voice was going to break all the windows. My favorite fado group was Madre Deus (they don't perform any more) with the Teresa Salgueiro as a vocalist. This group used to sing not only about love but about city of Lisbon (Alfama, river Tejo...) what is called Lisbon fado. To feel the spirit of the music and connection with the city, you should watch a movie Lisbon Story. My Lisbon story ended with fado concert. When the lights turn on, part of the city Beirra Alto is becoming a fado stage. I choose a small restaurant Caldo Verde to enjoyed it before I had left this magic city.




Even so romantic, I suggest visiting Lisbon with a best friend rather then your intimate partner. It's because of the handmade accessories that I'm able to stare at all day long but my husband, like all other men, doesn't have a patience for that. He always rushes me with un excuse that I already have a lot of it. That's why you'll need somebody who understands you!


Europe is like an old cute lady next door whom you like to pay a visit once in a while and to drink a coffee with. Even if I've seen a great deal of it, I need to stop by once in a while. It's inevitable while getting connection flights from one continent to another and every stop in Europe means a visit to me. 


No comments: