Monday, May 2, 2016

INDIA: SAFETY FIRST!!!

Not only nice things happen when traveling. We always like to see exotic spots where the safety is not a priority. And we usually don't think about bed things until they happen and they make us think how life is precious. Only a second of negligence and inattention is enough to destroy a life. 
Traffic is a perfect example of taking care of yourself and others. People are loosing lives because they are looking forward to check the limit of their cars or because they are in a rush to get somewhere. Driving too fast can take them nowhere, sometimes, but it's too late to regret. The age of maturity doesn't start with the number of age, it starts with a clear insight of our acts to ourself and to others, as well.



It is a day with an extremely high temperatures, almost impossible to breath. I feel like I am melting into the asphalt. I am in the car with Adi and Liraz, two Israeli girls, and we are getting closer to New Delhi. It is on the way back from Taj Mahal and it seems to be just an ordinary day. We are having a chat about really crazy traffic on the streets of India. It is famous for a variety of different subjects such as cows, camels, elephants and monkeys. That last ones seemed to be the most reasonable. Yes, monkeys are waiting patiently to cross the road until the jam is gone while cows and elephants just comes out of the blue. Crosswalks are a real nightmare for me. I just don't know where to look first because the cars are coming from every direction regardless the traffic regulations. I wonder how such a chaos can stay without any consequences. Above all of that, newborns can be seen on the motorbikes between their parents. And then,on the highway where things seem to be just a bit more organized, I see the crowed and the cars are slowing down. It is obvious that something is going on.
It is a car accident and Liraz is getting out of car at the moment. She is a nurse and her professional ethics makes her get out and help the injured. I get out after her. I am at the spot for the first time in my life. It is just like an action movie scene, two cars are crashed and smashed into each other. In one of the cars, the driver is stuck inside and people are trying to get him out. I can see his hand and and it makes me dizzy because I don't know if he's still alive. 





The dark liquid is spelt around the car and I am not quite sure whether it is an oil or a blood. Men get him out using their own strength and put him on the ground. Liraz is trying to keep him conscious splashing the water on his face. She doesn't have a gloves or any equipment but it doesn't stop her for taking a car of a patient. She's a real professional. I could see her for a moment before the ambulance came. I don't even notice the ambulance because it came without a siren. The way technicians are taking an injured into the ambulance I can see it is not very sophisticated one. He is just thrown inside like a suck of potato, without proper fixation that is necessary in case of bone fractures. A woman and a child, also injured are gone with the ambulance,too. People from the other car are mostly fine but obviously scared from the whole situation. 






We all go back to the car. What I find out from Lisar is that the driver doesn't have any chest injury but the bleeding from his nose, the size of his eyes and loosing of consciousness are the signs of internal head injuries. She thinks he doesn't have a chance without the basic aids such as bottle of oxygen.

     Photos by Nemanja Savic


I just can't stop thinking about the driver. I hope he's gonna make it somehow. 
I don't drive. I have the license but I'm really afraid of making an accident. I put my life into somebody's hands even if I don't know who that person is, whether is responsible or not. But, it is not just up to me and it is not up to one side only. It is up to everybody. We don't need to be fast and furious!!!

No comments: