Saturday, January 30, 2016

GALÁPAGOS: MY JURASSIC WORLD

Since I saw the movie Jurassic Park I've been dreaming about time travel back to the era of dinosaurs. Of course, such a thing is not possible (yet) so I'm letting my imagination run wild and I'm pulling out all my vacation fund to get just a piece of it. 
There's one place where there relatives are more interesting than enywhere else in the world. It's the Galápagos Islands, one more World Heritage Sight for Ecuador.  
Galápagos Islands consists of Galápagos Province, National Park and Marine Reserve. This is the place where Charles Darwin started questioning religious theories and launched the most significant theory for the humankind: Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. In his honor, here is Charls Darwin Research Station. 


It's a long way ride to get here. Flights to Galápagos depart ether from Quito or Gyuachill. I chose the last one and I arrived there by bus. I've red on the Internet about Gyuachill, it's a city famous for kidnapping, pickpocketing and mugging. I took a taxi to the airport for my own safety, as suggested on the Internet, even if the ride to the airport takes no more than five minutes. At the airport I was asked for the round trip ticket that I didn't have it because of my flexible schedule so I needed to get one. Traffic Control Card, that all visitors entering Galápagos must obtain, is 20.00$. After landing at the Isla Baltra, an admission to the National Park of Galápagos is 100.00$. The buss transportation from the airport to the water taxi (round trip ticket) is 20.00$. Water taxi from Baltra to San Cristobal, the most settled island is 1.00$. And, finally, the bus transportation around San Cristobal is 2.00$. Get your wallet ready for this kind of fun.
The very first dinosaur I have a chance to see is long-lived Galápagos giant tortoise, different than a green sea turtle. Tortoise lay less eggs than the see turtles, male tortoise weights around 200kg and female around 120kg. They live average hundred years, just like real dinosaurs (my late grandmother lived 93 years, almost joined to the club). When I was young I used to have a turtle for a pet so I'm deeply in love with this creatures. They move slowly and have a good shield as a protection. I compare them to Serbian politicians. Types of giant tortoise is descending, therefore they are brought to the artificial breeding at the Charles Darwin Research Station, to keep them safe from the extinction. Nearby, there are two lava tunnels and , because it's so dark, I take a quick walk inside.




Driving around the island I notice a half of it's sunny, it's raining on the other half and the line between is very fine. 
The next day on Galápagos I went with a tour for a snorkeling, between some smaller islands. Beside the exotic fish that I see almost everywhere I turn around, I encounter sea lions. They are called lions because their group behavior is almost identical to lions. The way they communicate is so expressive that I almost feel the massage they're passing to each other. The young ones, very curious about the floating group with fins and masks, come very close. The elders don't like that so they give a warning to the young ones to keep their distance. Damn, I don't have a waterproof camera, I'll regret it till the rest of my life. I'll need to get it before National Geographic hires me. I meet also: reef sharks (not a dangerous kind, I'm still at one piece), octopus (I hold it,  it feels so sticky), see turtles, stingray. There are, also, a lot of birds around: mostly pelicans and, of course, Darwin's finches, so small and tiny that compered to them Pelicans really look like dinosaurs. 





    Photos by: Fabricio Tamayo



Looking for some beach, I run into iguanas. One of them just shows up out of nowhere and lead me to the beach where the other marine iguanas are waiting for convenient tide to come. The beach is called Tortuga bay (Turtle beach). I don't see any turtles but a lot of iguanas dragging their tails on the sand, taking a sunbath and occasionally swimming. This is the beach I fell in love with: white sand, turquoise color water with a temperature I can't get out. If I stayed in a little bit longer, I would turn into a Little  Mermaid.





One more place where I indulge the swim is a volcanic fracture filled with ocean water, called Las Grietas. The landscape is made of sharp volcano rocks, deep dark cold water and giant cactuses as an accessories. 



There's one spot in Galápagos, not a part of tourist attraction, but more attractive than any tour so far. It's a local fish market. At least some of us is a market but for pelicans and see lions is a meal center or a student canteen. Waiting for a fisherman to bring baskets full of yellowfin tuna, pelicans are waiting in line. And who wouldn't wait for tuna (at) stake?! When nobody pays attention they help themselves. But, they have to be fast. After a while, see lions are coming, and they find the way to squeeze between people and the food so there's no a single chance to go back with an empty belly. Later on, few iguanas approach to get their share. I leave the camera, take off my sunglasses and just enjoy the show. 




In order to preserve the Nature, there are several regulations in Galápagos: to maintain the distance from the animals two meters, to recycle, and to grow only organic food.
Since the island is far from the mainland, blackouts are very common ( can be very romantic, if they occur during the dinner) and the Internet connection is very poor (doesn't seem to bother much my dinosaurs).
I know, mr Darwin wouldn't agree if I call this place a paradise but it is to me.
The era of Dinosaurs is ended but I hope it won't happen to the human kind, at least not soon.

1 comment:

Edaytorial said...

Great story Friend!

Milena